Life is absurd. And life is precious. Family is a lot of both.

Monday, May 14, 2012

A Few Things Learned the Hard Way

There’s no such thing as enough patience. I didn't get the patience I needed to be a mother until after I actually became one. Kids are amazing in their ability to forgive as we learn on the job.

There’s an entire dimension of love that you cannot understand until you become parents. Nothing my husband had ever done before moved me like the first time he took the fussy baby, told me to grab a drink and relax, then launched into the quirky, sweet lullaby of a daddy. He still knows the quickest way to my heart is to take the lead with the kids.


There is no right way. When it comes to sleep methods, pacifiers, potty training, etc., there is only the way that works for you. And, darn it all, what worked for one kid is almost guaranteed not to work for the next one.

Still trying to get it all right. Coffee helps!
 A good sense of humor is non-negotiable. Whether it’s training them to potty or training them to drive, I have realized they really need me to keep laughing to teach them that even the hardest things in life can be softened with a smile.

Children are people, not projects. Once I gave up the idea that I could ever control them, I could fully embrace the knowledge that no one will influence them more than the person who loves them best. 

3 comments :

  1. I so agree with you that there is an entire other dimension of love that we don't understand until we are parents. So grateful. Nice to meet you this week, thanks for leaving a comment at my place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise! I look forward to following your blog. I am so encouraged by other moms with a mess of kids! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete